Wednesday, November 26, 2008

MAYAN FAMILIES.....YIKES, I waited too long & might have screwed this up...

In other words, they are accepting donations for Christmas baskets until 12-1! As I don't start thinking about Christmas until typically AFTER Thanksgiving, I did not realize this. If you of such a mind to donate to a worthy cause in another country, and I understand perfectly well if you are keeping your donations closer to home, or can't donate at all in this tough economy, this is a worthy cause in Guatemala.

http://mayanfamilieschristmas.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/christmas-tamale-basket-fundraiser-2008/

Check out their website and the photos of last year's donation. The photos of the kids and their gift of shoes or a single toy, and the joy on their faces is breathtaking and heartbreaking all at the same time.

This year, for Thanksgiving, I'm greatful for my Guatemalan prince, who will hopefully never know true poverty or true hunger, but may always know these things exist because his father and I will teach him about life's inequalities. In some small way, perhaps our small family can make a difference in another family's life.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving! Don't eat too much, and for once this season, may the Lion's actually win (dear son...don't believe your father when he tells you that in the great scheme of life that this is actually important......he will also tell you such lies about U of M...).

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Wishing you and your family a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

I'm there. I will get my money in today. I have been waiting to hear the details. This is my favorite gift to give in honor of our Guatemalan prince.

Anonymous said...

The site is set up to take immediate PayPal payments or credit cards so it is definitely not too late to donate.

Tam said...

Happy Thanksgiving!