Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Leaving on a Jet Plane, Don't Know When I'll be Back Again

"I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane, Don't Know When I'll be Back Again......."

Where are those little emoticons when I need them? I need the little sobbing one........One year ago today, we handed John back to his foster mom. I had remained composed all morning, but when I placed him into Irma's arms, I burst out sobbing. It was an awful day, but I remember that Irma started crying when she took John, immediately covered him up with his blanket (I only had him dressed in 3 layers, LOL!), and started singing to him. As sad as I was, I felt really good that Irma cared so much about John (she also cried when she dropped him off).

At the time we visited, as best as I could tell from the chat boards, most babies were coming home around 8-9 months of age. Prior to the visit, I thought that I wouldn't get to see my son again for ANOTHER 5 or 6 months. When we visited, there were two people picking up at the same time - picking up 7 month old babies! I was so excited to think there was the possibility that John might be home around 7 months old.

One of the other visiting couples had brought a Santa suit to put on their son and take pictures. They knew that their son would not be home for his first Christmas, so they wanted that memory of him. They offered to let us borrow the suit, and we took it with every intention of getting some pictures. For whatever reason, when I tried, I couldn't get that suit on John (despite him being much smaller than the other baby), so I gave it back having no baby Christmas pictures. I was a little bummed, but I figured I really didn't want photos of John in holiday gear, unless I had actually shared the holiday with him (hence the fact that I did not take a Halloween costume, despite us going to Guate on 11-2).

"I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane, Don't Know When I'll be Back Again...."

Last year, on 11-6, we left Guatemala, not knowing when we'd be back........ I was hopeful that it would be sooner than anticipated due to the ages of the babies being picked up; but, I'm a realist, and luck has never been my strong suit.

"I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane, Don't Know When I'll be Back Again....."

Amazingly, we were back on that jet plane 6 weeks to the day we left John; now forever our child (at less than 5 months old)! I guess there was a reason why the Santa suit didn't fit - since we are blessed to have pictures of our son AT HOME in front of his own Christmas tree in 2006.

(Sorry - I have pics that I have tried to upload at least 10 times, but it's just not happening right now - I'll add later).

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Congrats on your anniversary.

Kristen and the Gang said...

AHHHH...I totally remember that day and OMG, it was the hardest thing we ever had to do!!! We all cried for hours before and after we handed our girl back to her Fmom!!! We were back 2.5 mths later to get her...but it was on 12/26....what a sad Christmas we had here in NY!!!!

Tam said...

What a great ending to that story! It must have been so fantastic to be able to pick him up in time for Christmas and so much sooner than you expected.